Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Going Back to Work

March 2009 there was an ad in the newspaper for an Instructor Therapist position at a non-profit organization here in Barrie that works with pre-schoolers who have autism. When I saw the ad, I knew it was exactly what I wanted to do and applied for the job. Unfortunately, I never got a call back.

Last March, when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with Addison, I got an email from a woman from the same company saying that they still had my resume on file and wanted to do an interview with me. I was really surprised since I had applied literally a YEAR earlier without even a confirmation that they received my resume. But, I was still interested so I decided to go to the inteview and see what happened. As it turned out, I really hit it off with the woman I interviewed with and she was more than happy to delay hiring me until after the baby was born and I was ready to go back to work.

I was planning on taking the whole year off for maternity leave, but I really didn't want to miss out on such a great opportunity so I worked out a deal that I will start with one child, which is only 8 hours a week, and will add more when I feel comfortable working more hours. I am so blessed that my dad is taking care of Addie and I don't need to worry about her at all.

Yesterday was my first day with my first little girl. I was a little nervous not knowing what to expect, but when I met her, I knew I was going to love her. She is four years old, and I meet her at a daycare to do our therapy. She is very smart for her age and learns really well, but most of all, when she learns something new, she is so proud, that the smile on her face just melts my heart and I am so happy for her. I LOVE my new job!

I definitely missed my little girl, and practically raced home to see her again, but it was nice to get out of the house for a few hours and talk to some adults. I was so nervous that I wouldn't be ready to go back to work, but I think this deal is going to work out really well. I am actually excited to go back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment