Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Two Month Shots

Yesturday Addie had a doctor's appointment. She is now exactly 10lbs, and in the 28th percentile for her weight, 22.5 inches long which is the 56th percentile for height, and her head is 34.5cm which is in the 5th percentile for head size. It is kind of fun to find out where she is in comparison to her peers, but it doesn't really matter overall as long as she is healthy. The doctor did comment on the mark under her chin, she called it a raspberry birthmark, and said that it is normal for them to appear around three weeks of age. We haven't noticed a change in it since it appeared, but the Dr. said it will grow until she is 4 years old, and then will either shrink remarkably, or disapear completely by the time she is six. As for the birth mark on her arm, there was no change.

The reason we had the appointment was for Addie to get her two month shots. This was the part I was dreading because I can't stand it when she is upset, and I knew she was going to be in pain. At our office, the nurse Donna does the shots so that if the child associates the nurse with pain and hates them, at least they still like the doctor. I held Addie while Donna gave her one shot in her left leg. Addie cried, but not for very long and just continued sucking on her pacifier. Then Donna put the other one in her right leg, and I've never seen Addie cry that hard before. She could barely breathe she was so upset and her little face was bright red. Addie was a very good sport though. She had a bottle (even though she threw up most of it after) and I sat and held her for 15minutes before we left to make sure she didn't have a reaction. By the time I went to dress her, Addie was giving me all kinds of smiles. The whole experience was easier on me than I thought it was going to be. It definitely bothered me seeing her so upset, but her taking it as well as she did made it better. I was so proud of my girl.

Addie slept for the rest of the afternoon, and was fussy in the evening. I checked her legs and they were both a little swollen and red so I gave her some infant Tylenol, and she calmed right down. She had a restless night for sleep, but is doing really well today. She is eating a little bit less than she was, but she is all smiles today.

Now we have two months to wait and will be back in September to do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment