Thursday, October 28, 2010

Missing Addie's first party

Addison and I have been waiting almost a month for today. Today was supposed to be Addie's first Halloween party thrown by one of the moms in our mommy and me group. My mom tracked down Addie's duck costume, Ryan got dragged to the pumpkin patch to pick out the perfect pumpkins to carve, and I had our contribution of veggies and dip all set for the potluck.

Last night at 8pm I was so excited to get Addison ready and take her to play with the other babies (which she LOVES to do) and take pictures of all the babies together in their costumes. Can you think of anything cuter than 8 babies in costumes? I can't.

By 10pm I realized that we probably weren't going to make the party when my breast pump canned out. Ya, welcome to motherhood. Not only do I get puked and pee'd on, wake up every couple hours all night for months and battle the war of teething, but I am now being held up by my breast pump!

I had two options:

1. Let my milk dry up and start feeding Addie formula so we could go to the party (p.s we already know she hates formula). We'd also have to continue to buy formula which is expensive.

2. Scour the house looking for a receipt that Ryan put somewhere safe (aka never to be seen again) then call and deal with Medela to get a replacement pump, find bank records from last May to scan to Medela so they can send said replacement pump and finally find a place to rent a pump from so that while we're waiting on the replacement pump, I am not in pain, and Addie is eating. The cost of renting a pump for a couple days is less than $10.00 and Medela customer service is amazing and said the new pump would be here in the morning.

I decided to go with option number 2. In the future, if Addie ever asks why we missed her first Halloween party, I can tell her it was either go to the party and starve, or stay home and eat.

So I'm determined to have some fun with her today to make up for the party she doesn't even know she's missing. We are using home made finger paint to make her first masterpieces of art, and roasting banana's for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. That sucks. I am sorry you missed the party. My supply was dwindling (because of lack of opportunities to pump at work) and now am only breastfeeding in the morning. Addison was already getting some formula because I couldn't pump enough but now that its almost all formula - so much more expensive. I feel like a can goes so quickly!

    Hope fingerpainting was fun!!

    ReplyDelete